Early detection can save your life.
A mammogram is conducted to help screen for or diagnose breast cancer. Cancer that is discovered at an early stage is more easily treated and cured. One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer during her lifetime. The good news is, when detected early, the breast cancer survival rate is 98 percent.
If you're a woman over 40, schedule your mammography screening today at Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital. You don't need a physician's order for an appointment.
We offer state-of-the-art digital mammography which can help pinpoint cancer in its earliest stages.
Digital mammography provides crisp, clear, easy-to-understand images, and it delivers rapid results for physicians and patients.
The Selenia Digital Mammography System from Hologic is now the standard for screening breast cancer and provides many benefits:
- Revolutionary imaging technology that provides comprehensive visibility to enable the early detection of breast cancer and other conditions
- Images that are immediately available for diagnosis. There is no film, so nothing has to be developed.
- Although the procedure is similar to traditional film mammography, digital imaging is less time-consuming and there is less exposure to radiation.
- Improved visualization of breast tissue for women with dense breast tissue and younger women undergoing hormone replacement therapy.
- The radiologist has an advanced ability to manipulate the image and to enhance or magnify calcifications to better analyze difficult-to-see tumors.
The American Cancer Society recommends a baseline screening mammography for every woman between the ages of 35 and 39 (possibly earlier, if there's a family history of breast cancer), and an annual mammogram each year after the age of 40.
For more information about breast cancer -- risk factors, warning signs, diagnosis and treatment options -- visit
our Health Library Breast Cancer Center ( En Español: Centro de cáncer de seno ).