There is a growing body of literature that indicates patients recover faster and are more satisfied with their joint replacement if they attended a pre-operative class on joint replacement. Cottage's pre-operative Joint Replacement seminar is offered free of charge to all who are interested.
The seminar is taught by licensed physical therapists and registered nurses who use a variety of teaching aids such as video presentations, discussion, and demonstration. There will be ample time for questions and answers, both during and after the program.
Participants will be given a Joint Replacement Guide, which contains essential information for those considering joint replacement at a Cottage Health System hospital.
A healthy snack is also offered during the 1.5 hour program. You will also have the opportunity to meet other people considering joint replacement.
Participants should expect to learn:
• The steps involved in preparing for a successful joint replacement.
• The anatomy of the major joints in the body.
• What to expect while in the hospital.
• What to expect during the recovery period after hospitalization.
• How to safely prepare the home for the recovery period.
• Answers to common questions about how to live successfully with your new joint.
• And more . . .
Please also consider our Healthy Joint Living seminar as well as our Joint Pain seminar conducted by physical and occupational therapists on staff at the Cottage Center for Orthopedics.
Bring a friend — or two!