May 24, 5:40 pm
At the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's press conference on May 24, Stephen Kaminski, MD, Director of Trauma Services at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, provided the following statement regarding patients who were hospitalized as a result of the violence in Isla Vista on May 23:
On behalf of Cottage Health System, I extend my condolences to the families and friends of those affected by this tragedy. Our thoughts are with you. We’re deeply saddened by the events that occurred in our community.
We are doing everything we can to provide the best care to the victims who arrived at our hospitals last night, and our social workers and spiritual care team are providing support for the patients and their families.
I can provide you with the following information:
- Four patients were treated and released by the Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital Emergency Department last night and into the early morning today.
- Seven injured victims were transported to our Trauma Center at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, where they remain in our care.
- Of those seven:
- Two patients are in good condition.
- Three patients are in fair condition.
- Two patients are in serious condition.
Thank you for your cooperation in allowing the privacy and space needed for these patients and families to heal.